USA Rugby, Rugby Ohio and the Ohio State Rugby team are joining forces to present "Rugby Week" across central Ohio from April 4-9.
Rugby has been added to the 2016 Olympic games in Rio, and in order to help the next generation rugby athletes, USA Rugby has introduced an initiative called "Rookie Rugby."
Developed by USA Rugby, the curriculum's goal is to educate as many students and teachers on the sport of rugby. "Rookie Rugby" will be taught in schools across central Ohio during "Rugby Week." Also, USA Rugby is donating more than 150 balls to Rugby Ohio, which will be given to the participating schools.
The "Rookie Rugby" curriculum can be viewed at www.rugbyohio.com. It is a non-contact version of the sport and it is being taught in schools across America.
Kurt Weaver, the national director of youth and high school rugby in America, and Ohio State head coach Ron Bowers will be in classrooms to help answer any questions.
The week culminates at the Ohio State-Penn State rugby game 1 p.m., Saturday, April 9, at Beekman Park. Admission is free. All students and teachers who participated in Rugby Week are invited to attend.
- Below is the schedule for Rugby Week:
Monday, April 4:
- Westerville North High School and Heritage Middle School
Tuesday, April 5:
- Westerville North High School, West Jefferson High School, Heritage Middle School (Hilliard), Urbana Middle School and Columbus Spanish Academy
Wednesday, April 6:
- West Jefferson High School, Hitonia Middle School, Urbana Middle School, Woodward Park Middle School and Heritage Elementary (Pickerington)
Thursday, April 7:
- Watterson, West Jefferson High School, Heritage Middle School, Indianola Middle School, Woodward Park Middle School and Heritage Elementary (Pickerington)
Friday, April 8:
- Columbus Academy, Westerville YMCA, Dominion Middle School and SCE Dublin Middle School