The following policies and procedures have been developed to ensure fairness and safety for all registered USA Rugby participants. Local Governing Unions may require additional compliance for competition so please verify all eligibility requirements with local administration before starting your season. Follow the links below to access PDFs with more information about eligibility.
Mandatory Registration Conditions
In order to practice and/or compete in any rugby-related competition, the following registration conditions must be met:
- The club must have a current, paid registration with USA Rugby for the appropriate gender and level of play. Club registration can be confirmed with the presence of a primary contact on a club’s public roster.
- Fifteen players must appear on the public roster prior to participation in fifteen-a-side rugby, nine prior to participation in seven-a-side rugby. All players must have a current, paid registration with USA Rugby and appear on their club’s online roster as a player for the current registration period. Check your club roster and individual registration status via the membership portal.
- Each club must have an appropriately certified USA Rugby coach with a current, paid registration affiliated to the club. All contact clubs must maintain at least one Level 200 Certified Coach, while non-contact clubs must maintain a Level 100 Certified coach.
- All clubs and individuals must follow all USA Rugby Eligibility Regulations as well as all Local Governing Union regulations and procedures.
For all other questions, please visit our support center.
Club (Adult) and Collegiate Policies
☆ USA Rugby Eligibility Regulations
USA Rugby sets minimum eligibility standards that your team must adhere to during all competitive matches. It is your responsibility to review these regulations periodically and ensure that your team is in compliance at all times.
☆ Collegiate Eligibility
USA Rugby announced the new Collegiate Eligibility Regulations on September 10, 2014. The new regulations help clarify terms and vague language evident in the previous regulations.
☆ Collegiate Eligibility Primer
Quick guide to the collegiate eligibility regulations and their application to the collegiate eligibility waiver requests.
☆ 2015-2016 Grandfather Clause: Collegiate Player Eligibility
This form must be completed by your College or University’s Registrar Office prior to competition.
☆ Random Spot Check Procedure
As of October 2006, a random spot check procedure has been put into place for all USA Rugby Championships. USA Rugby will select, at random, at least one team per championship event to do a thorough check of eligibility. Please review this procedure, if your team is selected it is expected that your team knows what will be required and will be able to produce the proper evidence within the appropriate time frame.
Youth and High School Policies
☆ High School Eligibility Regulations – Teams and Players
USA Rugby has provided a policy for all high school rugby matches, including single school, multi-school travel club, all star and Regional All-Star Tournament teams.
☆ USA Rugby Policy for High School Freshmen Under-15 Playing High School Rugby
Under 15 players should not normally play High School or U19 Rugby. This Guideline relates to players who are Under 15 years old (14 years old) AND in High School who wish to play in or be involved in training for, High School or U19 Rugby. Middle School players are not permitted to participate in High School Rugby.
☆ Field Sizes and Match Durations for Youth
USA Rugby has provided a policy for all youth and high school-aged players in relation to time limits for games and time limits for days, as well as field dimensions. Please review this policy when scheduling any fixtures for youth players.
High School and Under 18 year old players participation in Collegiate or Adult Rugby:
High School Enrolled players or players under the age of 18 are not permitted to participate in Collegiate, Adult or Adult Elite rugby matches, scrimmages or contact practices. The waivers provided are only for exceptional players who are at least 17 years of age and have the mental and physical maturity to participate in adult or collegiate contact rugby.
- ☆ Under 18 and HS Team Playing against Collegiate or Adult team Policy (Effective September 1, 2013)
There are two separate waivers provided, one for these exceptional players participating in adult rugby and one for these players participating in Collegiate rugby:
- ☆ Under 18 Players Participating in College Rugby (Effective September 1, 2013)
- ☆ Under 18 Players Participating in Senior Club / Adult Rugby (Effective August 1, 2013)