Founded in 1975, USA Rugby is the national governing body for the sport of rugby in America, and a Full Sport Member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the International Rugby Board (IRB).
Currently headquartered in Boulder, Colorado, USA Rugby is charged with developing the game on all levels and has over 115,000 active members. USA Rugby oversees four national teams, multiple collegiate and high school All-American sides, and an emerging Olympic development pathway for elite athletes.
In October 2009, the International Olympic Committee announced that Rugby Sevens (the seven-a-side version of the game) will appear in the 2016 Olympic Games to be held in Rio de Janeiro.
USA Rugby is based upon these core organizational beliefs:
- We believe that rugby will be the best experience in American sports.
- We believe in delighting and creating value for our members.
- We believe rugby has something for everyone and that anyone can play.
- We believe in lifelong camaraderie beyond the game.
- We believe that our greatest assets are our players.
- We believe in developing peak performance at all levels of the game.
- We believe in owning our performance.
USA Rugby's Dream: To Inspire America to Fall in Love with Rugby